When: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 13:00 - Wednesday, October 11, 2017 19:30
Where: Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, Strasbourg
The year 2017 marks the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation. European Christian communities, NGOs, churches and religious organizations regard the 31 October 1517, when Martin Luther nailed a copy of his 95 theses to the door of the Wittenberg Castle church, as the starting point of the Reformation.
This movement has had a tremendous effect on the development and prosperity of European continent and even far beyond it. It has profoundly impacted the modern view of politics and law, work ethics, culture and economics throughout the world. The Reformation inspired a mood of anti-authoritarianism, opposition to feudal system, abolition of slavery and the affirmation of human dignity and human rights. The modern system of capitalism, emerging science and education traces its roots back to Reformation-era principles.
Considering the high importance of the Reformation and its impact there will be organized two events in Strasbourg, France.
- Side Event “500th Anniversary of Reformation – impact on cultural, social and political life of Europe” on Wednesday 11 October from 13:00 to 14:00 during the fall session of the Assembly, in the Council of Europe.
- The Strategic Forum "Preservation and Promotion of the Principles of the Reformation on the European Continent" in the conference room of a hotel nearest to the Council of Europe on October 11 from 18:00 to 19:30.
The goal of this Event is to create awareness of the role of Reformation in Europe and the whole world and the impact it had on the religious, social, cultural, business and political life of Europe and to make an action plan on how to promote the principles of Reformation in Europe.
The event will seek to engage PACE members, MPs, NGOs, experts and other participants in a dialogue about how the experience and impact of Reformation can further advance Christian ethics and principles, unity in the European continent, strengthen social and economic life of EU family.
The goal of the Strategic Forum is make an action plan on how to promote the principles of Reformation in Europe and also outline the basic measures that MPs and officials might be taking to keep and advance the foundations of Reformation.
Other aims are:
- Get knowledge about the history and development of the Reformation culture: the way how the Reformation has influenced the Western society
- Get knowledge and discernment of the key concepts behind the Reformation
- Exchange of experience of Christian politicians, NGOs, experts and religious organizations.
- To have insight in instruments on how to resist lobby of special left-liberal lobby and interest groups to secularize Reformation
We believe that the Lord has a unique plan for our countries and the principles of reformation are still relevant for the European continent of the 21st century.
We sincerely hope you will be able to join us during this special time.
In order to register for these events please contact Maria van Oost at Administration@ecpm.info before the 6th of October 2017.